Donor Sperm/ IUI

Couples with fertility issues can connect via this forum to lend guidance and support for each other.
Forum rules
All users of the CLI Family Forums must abide by the rules posted under "Terms of Use".
CLI Moderators reserve the right to edit or remove any inappropriate or confidential posts.

Re: Donor Sperm/ IUI

Postby Gatorgrl81 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Hello! I so happy to have discovered the Family Forums here. After trying on our own for 3+ years with no success, we discovered that my DH has azoospermia due to Klinefelter's Syndrome. Spending $20k+ for IVF w/TESE and ICSI did not seem realistic, given our not-great chances. We originally opted to go the adoption route, but after 7+ months with a frustrating adoption agency, someone suggested that we consider using a donor to start our family. We hadn't really ever thought about this option before - it's not a widely discussed topic - so we started looking into it, and eventually decided it was for us!

Our RE ran full diagnostics on me (HSG, FSH, bloodwork, ultrasounds, you name it) and everything looks perfect. I am relatively young (but turning the dreaded 3-0 in April). At this point we have gone through 5 unmedicated cycles without success (all with the same donor - we bought 6 vials up front). Our RE is having us come in next week (2/1/11) for a consultation - I'm sure she's ready to discuss some fertility meds, which have us a bit nervous since everything 'seems' to be working fine already. We certainly don't want to keep wasting our resources, but personally I'd rather try a few more natural cycles with a new donor before switching to meds.

It's nice to know other ladies that are going through the same process right now.

Thanks,

Rebecca from FL
Gatorgrl81

Postby cadylou » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:54 pm

My husband also had a vasectomy and our doctor did not recommend a reversal. He said that it was not likely to work and then we would be out the money. We considered ICSI, but my husband didn't really want to go through that either. He suggested using a donor and the more we talked about it the more it felt like a good option for us. We looked at 4 different banks, but we ended up here. We have done 2 IUI cycles. The first one with Clomid and trigger ended up not working. We did our 2nd IUI in February using Clomid, Follistim, and trigger and on Thursday I got a positive beta! We are so thrilled. I love my husband so much and I am so happy that there are options available to couples like us to have children too. I am looking forward to everything that will be happening for us in the next few months. Best of luck to everyone else.
cadylou

Postby kwald64 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:32 pm

[quote="maria_cc79"]Hi Jill,

I also ended up finding a Yahoo Group that is made up of other women who have conceived or are trying to conceive with the same donor.

where is the yahoo group? is it just for the donor you are using or are there other donors on there too? are they all from cryolab?

thanks
kristy
kwald64

Postby maria_cc79 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:35 am

Kristy, the yahoo group that I found is just for women using the same donor (2938) but I know there are other groups for other donors. You can do a search on Yahoo Groups to see if your donor has a group started or you can google your donor # to see if there are other groups/posts on other sites discussing your donor. Good Luck!

:0) Maria
maria_cc79

Postby mlm38 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:17 pm

My husband and I are new to DI. After meeting with our fertility clinic we have completed all the testing - HSG, sonograms, bloodwork, etc and passed the testing. We were given 3 options - RV with a 35% chance of success, IVF - very expensive, meds, etc..., and DI. It took us a year to really decide which method was best for us. We flipped between the RV and the DI. Finally deciding on DI. Family of course knows he had a vacsectomy 10 yrs ago. They all would be really excited with us having a child and have started asking for one. So I dont see keeping how we conceived a secret from our loved ones. My clock is ticking since I will be turning 38 this year. Its wonderful to be able to read stories of others like us. It seems overwhelming to "go shopping" as I call it. How picky do you get with choosing the donors? etc... My husband isnt into the shopping to much..but rather he would like to look at 3 or 4 of my favorites and us make the final decision together. I read some comments on here that stuck out to me. Pick a couple of important traits to us and go from there. A precious little baby is a baby as well as part of our family. Before I can order vials, we have to complete a therapy session regarding those difficult questions we will encounter later in life. I keep telling myself every mother is nervous at some point. Mine just will be before conception instead of during the preganancy. We only see having one child, but know that this has been said by many and later wished for a second. So how many vials do you purchase the first time? Do you go back and purchase more vials later for the second child and keep them at CLI so that if you later wish to sell them back you can? At our clinic, they require you to pay for storage with them (1 year) so they can have the samples at the clinic and ready when we need them, cutting out the stress of the vials making to the clinic in time. For ones that have been through a session or too..Once you pick your donor and you purchase the vials, they are in storage and your ready to start the DI process, (Im nervous about it) can anyone tell me what the next steps are? I havent heard medications mentioned in our doctor appts and believe we will try without them. Looking for advice on picking the donor, and the next steps of the DI after purchase of the vials.
mlm38

Postby maria_cc79 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi mlm,

I want to wish you the best of luck in conceiving a baby very soon! My husband had 2 vasectomy reversal surgeries but neither worked so we decided to move on to IUI with donor sperm. We both wanted to use an ID options/consent donor so we wanted to use a bank that offered that option. We loved that CLI offered free online profiles, childhood photos, and audio interviews. We found a donor we both really liked here at Cryolab so we decided to buy 8 vials to start because CLI offers 2 years free storage when you purchase 8 vials or more. Getting those 8 vials all at once was kind of hard since he had a wait list all the time but we were able to do it because someone else on his wait list decided not to purchase the vials offered to them. I ended up getting pregnant after the first IUI with our donor. We were so shocked! I'm now 27 weeks pregnant with a baby girl and we are so excited to meet her! Anyways, we plan to have 2, maybe 3 children using the same donor so we are on the wait list again to buy a few more vials to put into storage just to be safe. I hope you and your husband are able to agree on a donor soon and have quick success! Please keep us posted on your progress and keep us posted on when you start your IUI cycle! It's nice to have others to connect with and cheer on during this process.

:0) Maria
maria_cc79

Postby donornumber2451 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:06 pm

my husband and I conceived our first and only child through IUI, and we waited for about 8 months on a waiting list in order to get more vials of the same donor, the call finally came in feb 2010
donornumber2451

Postby pequele » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Donornumber 2451 I sent you a pm....that's my son's donor number, too!
pequele

Postby xxluvmyfiremanxx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi ladies! I know there hasn't been any posts in a while but hoping I can join in and we can all continue chatting. My Dh and I found out 2 years ago that he has azoosppermia so it took a while for my Dh to come to terms with it and after much searching found our PERFECT donor here at CLI his baby photo matches my husbands almost perfectly and they are even in the same career and have blue eyes and full lips. We knew we had found our donor the second he saw his picture. we are currently on our third cycle after two failed attempts I'm currently on 100mg of clomid and should be triggering and having my IUI next week. I'm really hoping the added trigger will make this third time a charm. My beta day also happens to fall on my Dh's birthday, wouldn't that be a wonderful birthday present! Where is everyone in their cycles? Hope everyone is doing well.lots of baby dust!
xxluvmyfiremanxx

Postby dreamsabc123 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Last edited by dreamsabc123 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreamsabc123

PreviousNext

Return to Couples with Fertility Issues