Donor Sperm/ IUI

Couples with fertility issues can connect via this forum to lend guidance and support for each other.
Forum rules
All users of the CLI Family Forums must abide by the rules posted under "Terms of Use".
CLI Moderators reserve the right to edit or remove any inappropriate or confidential posts.

Re: Donor Sperm/ IUI

Postby clarapippa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Hello, ladies! I'm glad to see so many others talking here! I'm in my 20's and my husband just turned 40, but had a vasectomy about 13 years ago. We discussed an RV, but it was just too expensive for the fairly low chance of success. (He was a good candidate, though.) IVF was WAY WAY WAY too expensive, so we're hoping an IUI will be perfect for us. It will cost us about $1,000 an attempt, though, so we're really hoping for a quick conception. Does anyone have any stories about their experiences with how many "attempts" their IUI conceptions take? (Especially if you are younger, like myself.) I'm an otherwise healthy young woman, just lacking a fertile husband. :) I have a few donors in mind already from this lab, my husband seems a little less interested, of course. I plan on making up our own little survey for him to fill out and use to compare all our favorites here. (Our other choice of a sperm bank is California CryoLab but they are nearly $200 more per specimen, and you have to pay $145.00 to view childhood photos. I hate to sound cheap as you really can't be once you're a parent, but what's the point of depleting our savings at this point in life!)

Good luck to you all!
-Clara-
-Northglenn, CO-
clarapippa

Postby bluesky10 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 pm

I am in a different boat. We are a same sex couple. My partnert got lucky on the first try and she was 33 at the time. I am in the process now and hope for the same luck, I am 26 so should have decent chances.

That said, price wise, unless your insurance covers part of it you might want to figure way higher! Of coarse it also depends on what clinic you are going to. I would recommend Diamonds Women Center in Edina.

Some insurance covers nothing, others cover part, and yet other cover all but the sperm. My insurance covers everthing but the insemination, any medication and the sperm. So with that figured in, my total for just those 3 things is around $800 a try. Depending on the process you used, if its medicated and monitored or if you just track yourself will determine cost. My is fully watched, medicated and triggered at the right time. So in my case there is a min of 2 ultrasounds, extensive blood work, and fertility drugs. If you need a cost estimate I can tell you part of it.
bluesky10

Postby clarapippa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Heya, Blue!

Well, I'm still figuring about $1,000 an attempt, which includes any miscellaneous medical costs. I am a member of Kaiser Permanente in Denver, Colorado, so unfortunately I don't think I could visit your clinc. :) I'm sure they are awesome though! My insurance does not cover any of the actual fertility related appointments, but ultrasounds and bloodwork, x-rays, prescriptions, etc etc, are all covered. The quote I gave myself of about one thousand includes the cost of a "specimen" (Say, $395) plus the cost of the insemination process itself, as taken from my doctor's provided cost list. (About $450 for the clinic visit, plus $25 for the Clomid each time.) We have enough saved for 3 attempts + shipping and storage for the 3 specimens at once, and cushion. Because of my good health and young age I am really hoping it takes on the second try!

Thanks for the words!
Clara

bluesky10 wrote:I am in a different boat. We are a same sex couple. My partnert got lucky on the first try and she was 33 at the time. I am in the process now and hope for the same luck, I am 26 so should have decent chances.

That said, price wise, unless your insurance covers part of it you might want to figure way higher! Of coarse it also depends on what clinic you are going to. I would recommend Diamonds Women Center in Edina.

Some insurance covers nothing, others cover part, and yet other cover all but the sperm. My insurance covers everthing but the insemination, any medication and the sperm. So with that figured in, my total for just those 3 things is around $800 a try. Depending on the process you used, if its medicated and monitored or if you just track yourself will determine cost. My is fully watched, medicated and triggered at the right time. So in my case there is a min of 2 ultrasounds, extensive blood work, and fertility drugs. If you need a cost estimate I can tell you part of it.
-Clara-
-Northglenn, CO-
clarapippa

Postby maria_cc79 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:23 am

Well, I had my first IUI with donor 2938 on December 15th and it worked! I got my beautiful two pink lines on Wednesday :D. I really didn't expect the first one to work. My husband and I are both still in shock but we are so happy! Now I just pray that my little bean continues to grow and thrive. I just wanted to share my happy news with you all. How is everyone else doing? Any updates on anyone else? Where is everyone at now in their cycles?
maria_cc79

Postby bluesky10 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:41 pm

I hoped being young and healthy(26 never been on BC or anything) that I would get lucky as well. Well the first attempt didnt work, now I have to wait until Feb as the Clomid gave me cysts. So not only did it not take I have to sit out a cycle. I only have one vial of sperm left from the same donor as my daughter, and he is no longer avalable. I really wanted to have a half sibling to her, however I dont feel its going to happen.
bluesky10

Postby clarapippa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:56 am

maria: Congratulations! Rub off some of that luck on me!

Blue: Sometimes you can talk with the lab and see if they can contact the donor personally and request more samples just for you. I read about that SOMEwhere on the website, not extirely sure where. Good luck with your next attempt though!

An update on myself: I had a very promising, clean HSG (?) about two weeks ago... You know, the awkward x-ray. Now it's just a waiting game... Apparently when I get my next mens. I go in for an ultrasound, if that looks good then they put me on Clomid and I get my first attempt! It's getting close to the line now, if everything comes on time. My husband still hasn't chosen his favorite donor! And of course of our top choices is on "special" this month, so I hope there's still a few vials left for me when we get around to purchasing. My doctor will only hold 4 vials at a time anyway, and that was how many I was planning on purchasing, so I hope it takes within said 4!
-Clara-
-Northglenn, CO-
clarapippa

Postby bluesky10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 pm

You might want to keep them at the lab, that way if you dont need them all you can sell them back.

Its very very expensive to get a donor to donate again. I do have another picked out just incase this next one dont take. If I dont take after 3 I am not trying anymore anyway.
bluesky10

Postby clarapippa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:09 pm

Unfortunately if I were to keep my vials at Cryolab, I would have to shell out a bunch for shipping each month and it's simply not economical for my husband and I. The shipping rate is about $170.00 due to the sensitivity of the tissue, so I'd rather pay that once and store them at my doctor's office (it's Kaiser, and a new facility at that; probably has a great storage area!) than have to pay $170.00 each month. It's all so expensive! It kind of makes me resentful toward the people with multiple "unwanted" children due to a lack of responsibility! I don't think some people realize what those of us with fertility issues go through just to have the joy that they consider a burden. :|

bluesky10 wrote:You might want to keep them at the lab, that way if you dont need them all you can sell them back.

Its very very expensive to get a donor to donate again. I do have another picked out just incase this next one dont take. If I dont take after 3 I am not trying anymore anyway.
-Clara-
-Northglenn, CO-
clarapippa

Postby bluesky10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:31 pm

It costs me 170 a crack to ship as well. My doc no longer has a storage area so I have to go with this route. I have thought about just picking it up on my way tho to save the money.
bluesky10

Postby cottonlily » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:55 pm

My husband and I are selecting a donor for IUI sometime this year. We've done pretty much everything shy of IVF - HSG, laparascopy, meds, multiple semen analyses, 4 IUIs...no luck after 8 years trying. I am up for IVF; he is not. It He has very serious issues with count, motility and morphology and the longer we've tried the worse the results have become. I have two reproductive disorders I manage with meds but IVF would be a gamble for us in every way possible. My insurance is pretty amazing in comparison to many but they only allow one IVF or 6 IUIs. We've agreed to save the last one for IVF should we ever reconsider that procedure in the future.

As far as selecting a donor I think we're fairly atypical. We've never tried to find one who looks just like either of us. We will be disclosing the use of the donor to our child as well as close family and friends. But since there are thousands of donors to choose from we narrowed the selection down by using my husband's two most noticeable traits - hair color and height. It just seems to make selection easier. We also discussed CMV, family health, blood type and other medical issues with our RE and the three of us agree it's mostly insignificant. We didn't pick one another as partners or decide to have children based on our blood type or what illnesses our mothers had. As scientific as all the ART we've gone through and will go through we are trying to remain as natural about the donor process as possible. Going to lengths to find the perfect donor felt too much like trying to get a warranty on a used car! What's important to us is just having a child and we will later deal with what may come as any parent would. There are never any guarantees with any way you decide to build a family.

We definitely like Cryogenics. We've not ordered yet but this company has the best methods of selection available to customers. It baffles me how other labs want to charge you for viewing information about the donors before you buy. It's almost insulting! Can you imagine being charged by Target to shop in their store to see if there's anything there you actually want to purchase? It's ridiculous! Cryogenics offers information other labs are charging in excess of $145 for. I'm not trying to be cheap about the situation but when you add these fees plus the vials and storage and the actual inseminations, one cycle can be right expensive. We've picked a donor that just popped out to us and seems "right". Being able to view his baby photo was an added bonus! We just feel some connection seeing that photo and it feels more real to us, that we might actually be parents afterall. We're still trying to decide to do the IUI right away or later this summer but I'm definitely getting excited about the prospect of becoming pregnant. It's something I never thought would be possible for us.
cottonlily

PreviousNext

Return to Couples with Fertility Issues