Donor Sperm/ IUI

Couples with fertility issues can connect via this forum to lend guidance and support for each other.
Forum rules
All users of the CLI Family Forums must abide by the rules posted under "Terms of Use".
CLI Moderators reserve the right to edit or remove any inappropriate or confidential posts.

Donor Sperm/ IUI

Postby maria_cc79 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Hello,

I am going to be doing IUI with donor sperm in the near future. My husband and I chose this route after he had 2 failed vasectomy reversals. We hope to conceive this winter with a donor from CLI. I would love to connect and share my journey with others that are going through a similar situation.

:0) Maria
maria_cc79

Re: Donor Sperm/ IUI

Postby justanotherday16 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:45 am

You sound like me. My husband has had 2 vasectomy reversals and nothing. So now our other options would be IVF w/ICSI or IUI with donor sperm. We have decided to go with IUI with donor sperm. It's cheaper and we have already paid out of pocket for both surguries so we are hoping this works. I would love to hear more stories. It's been overwhelming to me looking over profiles and trying to pick the best match. How does what do it? I also want to make sure we choose a good donor since this is our last resort.

Best Wishes to all!
Jill
justanotherday16

Postby maria_cc79 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:43 am

Hi Jill,

I agree that picking a donor can be overwhelming. My husband and I had an anonymous donor picked out from another bank that matched him and his family background extremely well but after some discussion this summer we decided to look for an ID options/release/consent donor instead. We found one that we really like here at Cryolab. He doesn't match DH as well as the anonymous donor but we liked his audio interview and family health history and we got to see a childhood photo which is neat. So, I called them to ask if there were pregnancies reported for this donor and there are. I also ended up finding a Yahoo Group that is made up of other women who have conceived or are trying to conceive with the same donor. Knowing that other women have conceived with this donor makes us feel better about using him. However, currently there is a waitlist for the donor we want to use so we put our name on the list and have to wait to cycle. I hope to cycle by Dec. or Jan. but I have no clue how long it will take for them to call me back. I plan to have an HSG done before we start the IUIs. Anyways, with picking a donor, we just wanted to make sure that we picked a donor that has been proven. I hope you are able to find a donor that you like and that you will have quick success. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help answer them if I can. Please keep us posted on your journey!

P.S. Anyone else want to join our discussion? I would love to hear from you?
maria_cc79

Postby nnegaard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi ladies, same situation here. Went through one VR that was successful for about a year till the numbers went waaay down. Tried IVF w/ICSI because we had some insurance coverage, but the two embabies didn't make it. :( Which brought us to cryogenic. My lovely little boy was born the end of May and he is the joy of our life!! I'm so glad we went the donor route and didn't continue to have expensive procedures. Oh we did 4 cycles of IUI before I was pregnant with RMIA in Woodbury. Two natural, one clomid, and one follistim.
nnegaard

Postby firstandformostmom » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Hello, everyone. While we are in a slightly different boat (husband has maturation arrest as opposed to vasectomy), the end result was the same. Currently we are trying to conceive using the same donor we did when we conceived my daughter. Back then, we, too, had picked out a donor who matched my husband’s features and ethnic background at another bank, but decided on an identity release donor through Cryolab. The donor had very little physically in common with my husband (only eye color), but their personalities and sense of humor were similar. It was just more important to us to pick a donor who was open to contact with our daughter, should she choose to contact him, than it was that she look just like her daddy. We wanted to give her that option. Also, the donor we picked didn’t have any reported pregnancies at the time, but he was fairly new, so we took a chance and it worked on the first cycle! I don’t expect it to be that quick this time, as I am older, but I’m hoping it will happen within the next couple months.

My best advice is to make a list of important physical features that you and your husband /partner absolutely want (husband and I both have blue eyes, so we wanted a blue eyed donor) or any other features you deem important (CMV status, Identity release, pregnancy reported, etc), then go from there. This is how we started. Once we had our some-what shortened list, we went through and read each summary profile and staff impressions. This helped shorten the list even further. At this point, we only had about four donors left. We then listened to the full audio interviews. The interview is what helped us make up our minds (I guess it also helped that the donor was a cute baby! :) ).
Well, I wish everyone good luck!
firstandformostmom

Postby becca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:03 pm

I am in the same boat and pretty nervous scared about the whole process. It seems like even when you do tons of research there are still so many unanswered questions. My husband had a vasectomy after 10 years of marriage & 3 children from his previous wife. I have no children and am approaching the higher risk age so we decided we need to get going. We have picked a potential donor but haven't ordered yet. We first are trying to figure out exactly what our story to others is going to be. :?: Any advice is appreciated in any aspect.
becca

Postby danjeninmn » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:26 pm

My husband and I are using donor sperm as well due to my husband's low sperm count and motility. We are very excited but yet nervous. I am just wondering if someone could give me any insight on how many cycles they had to go through till pregnancy was acheived. We did our first round last month and it did not work. Looks like we will be doing insemination again this week. I know that everybody is different etc... Just want to see what the experiences have been with others.

Thanks....

Jen
danjeninmn

Postby maria_cc79 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:45 am

Well, we finally got a call back from CLI offering us some vials of our selected ID consent/release donor. We were able to get 8 vials. I am really happy because that means we get 2 years free storage! I plan to buy at least 4 more vials once we acheive pregnancy through this donor. I want to make sure I have enough for a sibling in the future too. I'm now just waiting for my Aunt Flow to come visit me and then I will start an IUI cycle.....Yay! I have an appointment on Thurs. with my Dr. to discuss meds/trigger shot etc. I'm so excited to get the show on the road. However, I'm not looking forward to the 2 week wait....lol. Is anyone else starting up soon?

maria_cc79

Postby danjeninmn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:33 pm

We just had our insemination this past Friday. Now the waiting........That is the worst!!!!! I guess I am getting used to waiting as we have been on the adoption waiting list for over 3 years so 2 weeks is really not bad. Good luck to you!

Jen
danjeninmn

Postby maria_cc79 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 pm

Jen: Good luck with your 2ww! I hope you get a BFP at the end of this one! Please keep me posted.

Jill: How is your process going? Have you been able to find a donor that you like? Please keep me updated. I hope you have quick success!

Becca: How are you doing? DId you pick a donor yet? Just wondering where you are at with all of this. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

firstandformostmom: Thanks for sharing your story and process with us! Congrats on your daughter! We also thought that picking an ID release donor was more important than having the donor match all of my husband's features. I just hope that the donor we picked gets us pregnant. Have you been able to conceive #2 yet? I hope you get your 2nd little miracle soon! Please keep me posted.

nnegaard: Thanks for sharing your success story! Congrats on your little boy! I am so happy that you got your little miracle! Keep in touch with us!

As for me: I'm still waiting for my Aunt Flow to come visit me but she should be here by next week. Then I will be doing 5mgs of Femara and having an IUI 24hrs after a +OPK. Does this sound like good timing to you all? For those of you who have been through this, what was your protocol for IUI? Just curious because I worry about timing because I've been told that thawed sperm doesn't live as long as fresh sperm. Any thoughts anyone?

:) Maria

P.S. Does anyone else want to join our discussion? Anyone else that has gone through this process or going through it currently?
maria_cc79

Next

Return to Couples with Fertility Issues