Single and Trying

Single mothers can use this forum to interact with each other about their challenges and joys of having and raising children.
Forum rules
All users of the CLI Family Forums must abide by the rules posted under "Terms of Use".
CLI Moderators reserve the right to edit or remove any inappropriate or confidential posts.

Re: Single and Trying

Postby bluesky10 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:35 pm

My doctor told me that if after 3 IUIs I am still not pregnant then its time to run tests to see what is going on. I am very impatiently waiting for my cycle to start to move on with the process. I personally don’t see me having any issue being I am only 26, never been on birth control and will be on clomid with a trigger for this process.

It seems to me, after reading on here a lot of people do unmonitored, no drugs nothing way of going about things. That just doesn’t make sense to me. I look at it as, "if you are going to spend the money to do this, do it right the first time and go all out".

I love my clinic and they do it right the first time. LOve my doctor as well. They are open to single parents, gay parents or couples. It doens't matter to them, they treat all the same.
bluesky10

Postby Aimeemomof3 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:19 pm

WOW... My insurance covered nothing for single mothers, I had to be married in order for my insurance to cover any fertillity treatments. :shock:

I waited until I was 38 to TTC and only did 3 unmedicated IUI's before I jumped to IVF. (I have absolutely NO patience whatsoever!) I suppose I could have given medicated IUI's a shot!?

My 1st IVF worked (transfered a 5 day blast and froze 8) and I have a 3 yr old girl. At 40, I tried with my frozens and they all failed so I did another fresh IVF and transferred two 5 day blast and now have 13 month old boy/girls twins!!

Yes, it's hard being the sole parent (I get absolutely no help!) and caring for 3 little ones but where there is a will there is a way. Love my 3 little bambinos! :D
Aimeemomof3

Postby Allison » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Just wanted to share my story. I was 36 when I started at the fertility clinic. I did some basic blood tests throughout the cycle to check hormone levels and had an ultrasound to check my ovarian reserve. Luckily my insurance paid for the initial testing (I had a diagnosis of "unexplained infertility." I still think that's funny-"I don't know why I'm not pregnant?'' Could it be lack o' sperm?) Insurance also paid for the IUIs. I only had to pay for the goods. I did 2 IUI cycles without drugs or anything (1 per menstrual cycle). I had been monitoring my fertility signs for about 9 months at that point and was using the Clearblue Fertility Monitor (borrowed from a friend). I got pregnant that second month! Unfortunately, I miscarried at 10 weeks. That was in February. It took 3 months until the monitor gave me a peak reading again, so I started natural IUIs again with the same donor. I did 4 with that donor and it still hadn't worked. Then I switched donors (a really intuitive friend actually picked my donor this time, with my final approval, of course). It worked the first time with the new sperm. Whether it was the switch or my body was finally ready, I don't know. I did feel like it took a while to recover from the miscarriage, but it sure was an amazing coincidence that it worked on the first try with the new donor. I'm now 14 weeks pregnant and have a fetus in there with a strong heartbeat. I turned 38 this month. It has been a long process so far, but I wouldn't have changed a thing. I'm glad I didn't use Clomid (I was dead set against it from the very beginning, unless I eventually needed it.) I think Clomid is very over used and I generally don't take medication unless I really need it. I faithfully visited my acupuncturist (and still do). I tried to maintain a healthy lifestyle as much as I could throughout all this (and still do). This is the general philosophy of how I live my life, so I am happy with how it went. I admit there were lots of times when I thought maybe I should just.... but I was patient and hopefully good things come to those who wait!
*Allison*
Allison

Postby wcrowley » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 am

wanted to share a slightly different story -

I was 37 when I decided to stop waiting for a man to have babies with. My doctor (gyn) was wonderful, did a brief physical, basic bloodwork, and taught me how to Basal BT chart. She wanted to see 6 months of charts before we proceeded. I did 1 cycle of OPK to make sure my charts agreed with the POAS, and the next cycle we ordered sperm. We never discussed IVF, she just said IUI is much less invasive, cheaper, and this is where you start. When the OPK was positive, we did one insemination immediately ( they fit me in the schedule in the next hour) and a second insemination 24 hours later.

I am the miracle case that it works the first try, but I truly believe it was in part due to all the charting and planning. My donor did have previous reported pregnancies, and i admit i had one of those "hunches" about him - he was the first donor I checked out in the database, and in 6 months I just kept coming back to that one.

Anyway, 2 years later when the crazy woman inside my head started to say " You're not getting any younger, and your DD needs a sibling, you did it once, you can do it again!" My donor no longer had standard units available. I called CLI, and they said he was inactive, and suggested I double up on IVF units. They explained that this would equal the one standard unit in content, just a larger volume of fluid. So I did - exact same process, 2 inseminations 24 hrs apart after positive OPK, and another BFP!

I now have a beautiful 3 year old and a 15 month old. Thank you CLI!
wcrowley

Postby sjr14221 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Single and trying as well. I can't believe all the success stories from women over 40!

I got a late start at 41, and now at 43, I've had in order 6 failed iui's femara to injectables with donor #1, 2 failed IVF with donor #2 (3 embryos returned each time) and 1 failed IUI with donor #2 (and horrible OHSS). Donor #2 can obviously fertilize my eggs and the problem is most likely my age. I have 2 vials of donor #2 left; now I have to decide if I am getting more vials and if so how many? I want to continue with my own eggs for the rest of the year then move to donor egg if I have to; however my estrogen levels are getting higher and I am starting to face canceled cycles (otherwise, I'd do one every month). If I do become pregnant with my own eggs, I would like to try for a sibling at some point which will probably be donor eggs, but hopefully same donor sperm.

Should I go for new donor or stick with the one I like? His counts are good, he's produced pregnancies, and he's fertilized my tough old eggs before.

Thanks for listening...
sjr14221

Postby ambrok » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Update: My 3rd IUI with Clomid was in November. Since then, my OPKs have landed on either a holiday or wkend when my clinic is closed. Once, my Dr suggested maybe I needed to try a different donor; but the one I have picked is the only one that stood out for me - every time I searched...I always came back to the same donor & he did have a pregnancy record, so that is good. I saw an RE in January …very helpful! The more information I get, the better I feel about what my options are & the easier it is to remain positive!

The RE was surprised that my Dr hadn’t run any tests before doing IUIs. His thoughts were, why spend the precious time (I’m 37) & money if my tubes may be blocked or my egg reserve is too low?!? So, I have my HSG scheduled for next week…pretty nervous about that one. I’m also anxiously awaiting AF (2 days late & I never miss a period) so I can get a Clomid Challenge testing done. Also, good news…even though my ins co does not cover any infertility treatments, they will cover the testing. Yeah!

IDK, I always have this thought in the back of my head ‘maybe I waited too long to have a child’?!? I just have to remain positive & realize that I have options! If the test results are good, then the RE didn’t see a problem w/ a couple more IUIs before moving to IVF. If the results are not good, then I’ll be skipping IUI & saving up $ for IVF…possibly with an egg donor, also. There is always adoption & I haven’t ruled that out; but I don’t know how much more difficult it would be for an older, single woman to adopt over the many couples out there also?!?

So, while I’m still TTC w/o going into debt…I wish everyone else luck & thank all that have shared their story 
ambrok

Postby kwald64 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 am

hello everyone. I am so glad to have found a site where you are looking for the same thing I am. I am new to the whole planned pregnancy for a single mom thing as well as looking for a donor. I have a son turning 7 next month. I have been single for a long time. I tried dating in the beginning and then realized that I like being on my own. I dont have to answer to anyone. I dont have to ask permission to remodel my house. I dont have to create time to be a good wife. All my time is for myself and my son. I am turning 34 soon. I know thats not quite OLD! But for someone who knows they arnt going to try marriage again it does leave much time if I want to have another baby.

I'm not up to date on all the lingo and the abbreviations here so please bare with me. I am not wealthy and as a matter of fact im a little concerned about the insurance factor. My son and I are on BadgerCare for the insurance since I am self employed I cannot afford it on my own. Anyway in hopes of keeping the expenses down I am going to try the at home turkey baster method. There is a whole website on it. You use an oral medicine syringe.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in my donor medically? For instance do I need to be careful about blood type and the rH factor? And can I pick the sample up from the place or have it shipped to me? I dont want to do it through the Dr's office as it might cost more.

Any advice would be appreciated
kwald64

Postby ambrok » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Update...my diagnostic tests came back fine :) Tubes clear (note the HSG testing was painful; but a quick pain that didn't last long) & my egg reserves came back fine also (I don't remember the exact # that came back from the Clomid Challenge test).

I have switched Drs. My previous Dr gave me 50mg Clomid & IUI but never did any ultrasounds. My new Dr put me on 100mg Clomid, they did a couple of ultrasounds to see if I had any follicles growing (I have one nice one) & since all looks good, I took the hCG trigger shot tonight & my IUI is scheduled 36 hrs from now :)

I must say I'm terribly frightened of needles...I can't look when I get a vaccination or blood drawn; but since the hCG shot needed to be done at exactly 8:45pm tonight...I had to do it myself. I was so incredibly nervous & have been worrying myself sick for over a week!!! I did it!!! I DID IT!!! The nurse had given me a 1" needle rather than the 1.5" that was sent w/ the hCG...since I was self injecting into my thigh rather than my booty. They also suggested that you let your thigh completely dry from the alcohol wipe (used to clean the injection site) as this can cause some stinging if it's not dry. I set everything up, iced up my thigh for about 5 minutes and...just did it!!!! I couldn't bare to think about it anymore. LOL I must say it was painless, to my surprise :) It bled a little bit; but it's perfectly fine. Although I don't want to have to again...but if I did, I now know I can do it. I was told that the injection area will be sore for a few days like when you get a tetenus shot. My friend who is a nurse told me to use my leg...move it around & that should help w/ the soreness.

Ahhhhh....now I can get some sleep - so glad the trigger shot is done with :) And getting excited about the IUI coming up...may be this will be the time!!! My new Dr is also having me take progesterone suppositories, starting a few days after my IUI...this is to keep your uterus lining thick. They indicated that uterus lining is the cause of many miscarriages (I did not know that).

So, that's it for now. Luck to all :)
ambrok

Postby GGMarie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Do they allow women to buy a vial of semen for home use?? I'm new to the idea so any information would be helpful. :)
GGMarie

Postby bluesky10 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:19 am

You have to have a doc sign off to have it sent to you, but other wise yes.
bluesky10

PreviousNext

Return to Single Mothers